How would you define pride? The following examples show the different aspects of the word as we find them in the New Testament (definitions from Strong's Concordance):
Based on Genesis 7:7-24
Natural disasters are destructions, not by man, to vulnerable men (but additional suffering can sometimes result from the foolish acts of people).
There are many examples in the Bible. Reading through Genesis, the flood is the first we encounter. The details are recorded in Genesis 7:11 and Genesis 18,22. Why did God flood the earth? See Genesis 6:1-7. The world was wicked in God's sight, and He cleansed the it of sin. In Luke 17:26, Jesus says the world around us will be in the same state when he returns.
We held a special lecture on this subject from Richard Palmer, Professor of Experimental Physics at the University of Birmingham, and Head of Nanoscale Physics Research Laboratory. Richard helped us understand that the Bible is a very scientific book, ahead of it's time and in harmony with science!
Tumultuous events have been a feature of our world so far in 2011:
- January – Tunisian government falls
- February - Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak resigns; 6.3 earthquake - Christchurch, New Zealand
- March - 9.1 earthquake and tsunami - Japan. Over 15,000 killed, 8,000 missing. Emergencies at four nuclear power plants; Libyan uprising, no-fly zone
- April - Royal Wedding (a bit of light relief!)
- May - Volcanic ash from Grímsvötn, an ice cap in Iceland, disrupts air traffic
- June - Syrian uprising brutally repressed; Israel Prime Minister Netanyahu visits the White House
Are these events just part of the normal and mundane run of the mill happenings that have no significance beyond themselves? Or do they form part of a bigger story?
So Many Views!
If we turn to philosophy or religion, we find there are so many different views on the Meaning of Life. From the vast array of opinions, how do we know which one is right? Here are some examples:
If you want to know what your prospects are for surviving death and ending up in a better place, this is an article you need to read. But be prepared to be surprised!
Do you ever feel the need to get away from all the pressing problems, and all the pressures, and just go away? To leave one of those notices on you office door, or on the front door of your house, which tells everyone that you're not available?